Head of Game Design
At Iron Galaxy Studios, our teams support a healthy work-life balance, promote continuous improvement, and champion a diverse people-focused culture. We encourage professionals from every heritage, lifestyle, or background to apply.
This is a full-time hybrid position in Orlando (FL), Chicago (IL), Austin (TX), or Nashville (TN) with relocation options for out-of-state applicants.
As the Head of Game Design, you will be a key contributor to the success and growth of Iron Galaxy’s design team. We need a seasoned designer who leads by example and demonstrates excellent communication skills to internal/external stakeholders. The ideal applicant thrives in fast-paced environments, fosters teamwork at every turn, and excels at managing multiple goals at once. You'll need a strong understanding of various design roles and how they collaborate with engineers, artists, and producers.
- Oversee design deployment to meet project needs and find the best fit for employees
- Champion pay parity on the design team through annual salary adjustments
- Evaluate and track team member performance year to year, providing holistic assessments on a periodic basis
- Understand, elevate, and develop the skills of Iron Galaxy’s design organization
- Create, manage, and enforce design budgets with our Product Development Team
- Direct the hiring, training, and onboarding process for the design team
- Supervise and implement repeatable design processes
- Mitigate and resolve conflict, both from external and internal forces affecting team dynamic, deliverables, and/or quality of work
- Clearly articulate the vision and/or design of the product to external partners
- Evangelize the creative process and empower others in the company to participate
- 10+ years of professional experience designing games
- 5+ years in a lead or management role
- Managed design of at least 1 AAA game
- Excellent interpersonal and motivational skills
- Ability to work well and create consensus within a larger design team
- Outstanding communication/presentation skills that sell the vision to fellow team members, product management, and external partners
- Experience providing honest feedback while being sensitive to an individual’s work
- Highly organized and detail-focused with great time management skills
- Hands-on experience with industry-standard engines
- Experienced designer with aspirations to join the management team
- Production-minded designer that has transcended their craft
- Game developer with a passion for project management
- You’re a natural learner that loves mentoring talent
- You get satisfaction from the success of others
ABOUT US: Iron Galaxy is one of the world’s largest independent video game developers with 60+ shipped titles. Our people combine their talents to create amazing ports, epic remasters, and new experiences from the ground up. We partner with the top companies in the gaming industry to co-develop and support AAA game creation at the highest level. See why we have been certified by Great Place to Work and GamesIndustry.biz.
Iron Galaxy Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that a diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are essential to making quality games. Our teams actively support equal access to career opportunities for all people regardless of age, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, national origin, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
We prohibit retaliation against individuals who present discrimination complaints to Iron Galaxy management or relevant government agencies. We strongly encourage women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.