Managing Art Director
At Iron Galaxy Studios, our teams support a healthy work-life balance, promote continuous improvement, and champion a diverse people-focused culture. We encourage professionals from every heritage, lifestyle, or background to apply.
This is a full-time hybrid position in Chicago (IL), Nashville (TN), or Orlando (FL) with relocation options for out-of-state applicants.
Iron Galaxy Studios is looking for a passionate and motivated Managing Art Director to join our team as an artistic visionary and ensure our visual elements are of the highest quality for our projects and the growth of the art team members.
We are a well-established independent game developer who has partnered with the titans of our industry to ship more high-caliber games than any other independent developer. We’re known for our excellent work on Killer Instinct, as well as helping to bring Skyrim and Diablo III to the Nintendo Switch.
- Work with the Department Lead to track upcoming goals for our art department as it evolves and grows
- Support and represent artists as their Career Guide to ensure their development and growth.
- Connect with artist on the team and be the conduit and spark for their future growth and aspirations.
- Develop an internal learning and growth system for the Art Department.
- Communicate and collaborate with other development disciplines to create cohesive departmental practices across the studio.
- Collaborate with creative Leads to craft and communicate the artistic vision of the projects
- Concept and pitch high-level game concepts
- Generate excitement and direction through Art Bibles, documentation, concept art, or mood boards
- Work with Production to schedule and track tasks that help our art team execute on our goals as efficiently as possible
- Be an EXCELLENT listener and a proficient planner.
- Experience leading a creative team in crafting their individual skill sets.
- Experience working in interactive media and/or game development, some AAA game experience preferred
- Experience leading a creative team in crafting a distinct, cohesive visual style
- Ability to provide creative leadership through focused and inspiring reviews.
- Deep expertise and experience in at least one art field (e.g., character, environment, concept)
- Significant experiences working with one or more industry-standard engines, such as UE4 or Unity
- Superb knowledge in one or more industry-standard software applications, such as Photoshop, Maya, ZBrush, Substance
- Values-driven and inclusive, committed to doing the right thing and being respectful to everyone on our team
- Fearless about trying out new tools with a commitment to keeping up with the latest industry standards, best practices, and approaches to creative projects
- Commitment to mentorship and exchanging knowledge, advice, and best practices with your colleagues
- Expert communication skills to interface with our team members and partners
- Experience in educational growth and leadership training
- Expert communication skills to interface with our many partners
- Project management software expertise (Jira, Confluence, etc.)
ABOUT US: Iron Galaxy is one of the world’s largest independent video game developers with 60+ shipped titles. Our people combine their talents to create amazing ports, epic remasters, and new experiences from the ground up. We partner with the top companies in the gaming industry to co-develop and support AAA game creation at the highest level.
Iron Galaxy Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that a diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are essential to making quality games. Our teams actively support equal access to career opportunities for all people regardless of age, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, national origin, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
We prohibit retaliation against individuals who present discrimination complaints to Iron Galaxy management or relevant government agencies. We strongly encourage women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.