At Iron Galaxy Studios, our teams support a healthy work-life balance, promote continuous improvement, and champion a diverse people-focused culture. We encourage professionals from every heritage, lifestyle, or background to apply.
This is a full-time position in Chicago (IL), Nashville (TN), or Orlando (FL) with relocation options for out-of-state applicants.
Iron Galaxy is looking for a passionate Gameplay Designer to help design, implement, and support game interfaces, mechanics, and systems on a variety of projects. At Iron Galaxy, designers have many opportunities to work on various project genres, each with a unique set of challenges at several stages of development. Our development environment keeps things fresh and provides new challenges requiring adaptability and complex problem-solving. We need a new teammate who is comfortable owning new systems and implementation, as well as taking over or revamping existing systems that have already been set up.
- Work on a variety of game genres and platforms (including cross-platform games)
- Shepherd the development of one or more key game features or feature repackaging
- Create, document, pitch, and evangelize the feature
- Prototype, implement and iterate on the feature in-engine
- Debug, tune, balance, and polish the feature for final delivery
- Healthy collaboration and feedback on other game features
- Collaborate on multi-disciplinary project Strike Teams
- Ensure Tech, Art, and Production understand our systems and have a voice for feedback and input
- Understand and support top-level Game Vision for existing project(s)
- Help maintain day-to-day pipeline processes
- Peer mentorship with other studio designers
- Analyze playtest feedback and take action to improve the game
- Help create effective pitch presentations to effectively communicate game features
- Be a champion for quality gameplay and sustainable work practices at the studio
- Contributed to shipping at least one commercial game in a Game Design role on PC or Console
- Experience working in industry-standard engines and software (UE4, Unity, Level Editors, Scripting, etc.)
- Experience developing game content in-engine
- Experience scripting in a previous visual or written language
- Documented and shared ideas and feedback concisely and constructively in a professional setting
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Experience working with publishers or co-development partners
- Experience working on a variety of games and genres
- Experience developing for a variety of current platforms (PC, Xbox, PS, Nintendo, etc.)
- Experience working in a 3D package (Maya, Max, or equivalent)
- Experience or skills in other game development disciplines (programming, art, animation, project management, etc.)
- Experience preparing playtest criteria and conducting analysis to foster meaningful iterations to improve player experience
ABOUT US: Iron Galaxy is one of the world’s largest independent video game developers with 60+ shipped titles. Our people combine their talents to create amazing ports, epic remasters, and new experiences from the ground up. We partner with the top companies in the gaming industry to co-develop and support AAA game creation at the highest level. Check out our next project at Rumbleverse.com.
Safety Notice: Iron Galaxy employees can elect to work from home through December of 2022. This policy extends to hires between now and then. Any equipment that you might need for projects will be shipped to you directly.
Iron Galaxy Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that a diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are essential to making quality games. Our teams actively support equal access to career opportunities for all people regardless of age, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, national origin, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
We prohibit retaliation against individuals who present discrimination complaints to Iron Galaxy management or relevant government agencies. We strongly encourage women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.