Technical UI Designer
At Iron Galaxy Studios, our teams support a healthy work-life balance, promote continuous improvement, and champion a diverse people-focused culture. We encourage professionals from every heritage, lifestyle, or background to apply.
This is a full-time position in Chicago (IL), Nashville (TN), or Orlando (FL) with relocation options for out-of-state applicants.
Iron Galaxy Studios is looking for a passionate Technical UI Designer to flesh out our existing UI team and help champion for interface through design, flow, layout, and implementation in-engine.
As a Technical UI Designer, you will be expected to be capable of helping design, implement, port and tune UI content for a variety of platforms including AAA PC, console, and mobile. You should be comfortable owning a new UI project and implementation as well as taking over with existing projects that have already been set up. While you may have one or more areas of expertise, you aren’t afraid to venture between design and implementation on projects. In addition to your design experience, you should have strong communication skills, and be capable of working with diverse cross-functional teams.
This role can expand into other adjacent game design roles in the future. We are a people-focused studio, so we work to maximize the passion of each individual as much as possible. There is a lot of room for growth and diverse design opportunities as a designer at Iron Galaxy.
- Contribute to the studios base of UI Design knowledge and standards across platforms and use cases
- Implement or port game interfaces in UE4, Unity, and proprietary engines for a variety of genres across single and multi-player platforms
- Design and develop wireframes, prototypes, and UX user flows – solo, and with the collaboration of our UI Team
- Collaborate as needed with Art team on look + feel, style guides, FX, and 2D / 3D visual elements and their layout
- Collaborate as needed with Tech UI / Engineering on the UI elements, variables, structure, layout, and optimization/performance targets
- Help manage UI development, participate in peer mentorship with and generate feedback for other UI team members
- Take in player and peer feedback and make meaningful iterations and improvements to the implementation and interface
- Produce mockups and assets for pitches, prototypes, and kickoffs, using existing designs and feature goals
- Be a champion for great UI in our games, helping to energize your peers, and helping to drive quality for our products
- Ability to implement user interfaces in game development engines (UE, Unity, etc.)
- Prototyping, developing, and maintaining UI features from concept to release
- Understanding of how to implement responsive layouts
- Visual Scripting or high-level programming languages such as C# or Lua
- Ability to understand the needs of UI Artists, Designers and Engineers to help improve their tool and pipeline development
- Experience with some of the commercial tools and software used in UI Design such as Adobe XD, Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, Figma, Axure, etc.
- Experience creating and editing wireframes and/or mockups
- You love video games and creating great user experiences
ABOUT US: Iron Galaxy is one of the world’s largest independent video game developers with 60+ shipped titles. Our people combine their talents to create amazing ports, epic remasters, and new experiences from the ground up. We partner with the top companies in the gaming industry to co-develop and support AAA game creation at the highest level. Check out our next project at Rumbleverse.com.
Safety Notice: Iron Galaxy employees can elect to work from home until December of 2022. This policy extends to hires between now and then. Any equipment that you might need for projects will be shipped to you directly.
Iron Galaxy Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that a diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are essential to making quality games. Our teams actively support equal access to career opportunities for all people regardless of age, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, national origin, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
We prohibit retaliation against individuals who present discrimination complaints to Iron Galaxy management or relevant government agencies. We strongly encourage women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.